Hemi Truck Club banner

Newb question about coils.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  HemiFun05 
#1 ·
Just bought an 06 Ram 1500 Sport with the 5.7. Had it to the dealer to get the solenoid pack in the tranny replaced and they said I needed new plugs and wires. I am getting p0307 misfire in cyl 7. I have done plugs in my other vehicles and I did a coil in my explorer so I figured I had an idea of what I was gonna do. But when I had a look the wires look nothing like what I am used to seeing. Is the wire that runs from the coil all there is to it or are there more "conventional" looking wires above that when I take the cover off? Is the wiring in the picture what I have seen refered to as shorties?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard!

There are no plug wires in the traditional sense. Sounds like a dealer to avoid if that's what they know about plugs on the newer Hemis. For the miss fire, swap the #5 and #7 coils to see if the problem moves.

The plugs (two under each of those coil packs) are not a walk-in-the-park, but they're doable. NGK 5306s are popular.

#3 ·
Thanks. It will definately not go back to that dealership. They screwed us around a bit with the transmission too. Are those small wiring harnesses of the top of the coil something that gets swapped out to or upgradeable? It looks a little tight in there particularly the third back on the drivers side.

#4 ·
Those are the coil power/ground pligs unless they break or have an issue they will last longer than the truck will. Only change the coils of they go bad and okugs every 30k. Move the coil like stated and see if miss moves.

#5 ·
The two wire plugs that connect to each coil (cop) are for specific cylinder. Just the coils get swapped when trouble shooting. Actually the 05 had waste spark high tension wires which is what the dealer was most likely was referring to. He didn't take the time to check what year your truck is. I'd avoid all dealers. I use a 3/8" magnetic spark plug socket with a built in swivel. It's about 4" long. That and a 10mm socket is all you need. I take a couple towels and lay them over the radiator cross member as a cushion and just lay on it to reach the rear ones. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.