Hemi Truck Club banner

ML:Facts and Findings on Oil Viscosity!

6K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  HemiFun05 
#1 · (Edited)
Over the Years We as owners have been lured into CAFE specifications!! Which is Light Weight Oils for Better Fuel Economy! Nothing wrong with that as long as the oil is giving my engine the best lubrication possible at start up and during operation.

After being directed to this Long Term Research Article-->I had to re-think my thoughts once again on Oil Viscosity for my Autos! Especially my new Ram!

Mind you this is nothing really to be argued about!! These Engineers have 40X more knowledge then any of Us! This article just gives us who are Very Open Minded something to think about besides CAFE!! Except giving your expensive investments the proper Viscosity Oil for Ideal Lubrication.

Motor Oils - Fuel Economy vs. Wear

Not telling anyone to switch to a Higher Viscosity Oil-->Just something to Think About!!!

If your an owner who keeps your Car or Truck for many years after the auto is paid off-->This is a very interesting read! If you always trade every 2-4 years there is really no reason to care!

See less See more
#2 ·
I use full synthetic now (since 2000) in all applications - however I used Castrol 20W-50 in everything for all of my previous years with never any type of oil related issue. I never gave a rat's a$$ about fuel mileage in the past or even now for that matter with regards to oil type - just optimum engine protection :thumb:.

:dance:

#3 · (Edited)
When I still owned my Super Snake and a Loyal Member to the SVT forum we had a member who preached Amsoil 10W-30 instead of the 5W-20 due to his many UOA reports! Through these reports he showed thousands of other loyal members just what the ML report that I posted is saying!!! Much lower Wear Numbers using a thicker viscosity oil!! -->This was verified using Hundreds of UOA reports from members...

Though Ford Claims there would be issues using a higher Viscosity Oil within the VVT System-->There was not 1 issue reported within the 3 years I was still a member after the switch... Who do ya Believe?

Your average owner who never does their own oil changes or maintenance will not give a spit about this thread.

Your hard core lubrication addicts just might find it a bit interesting... I am by NO means telling owners to switch to a Higher Viscosity Oil to help your engine last longer... It will last well up to 100K miles or more on the spec 5W-20 or 0W-20... I just found the report very interesting and verified what I basically already experienced...

I have already kind of started an experiment with my new Ram-->Adding 2 Qts of M1 0W-40 to my oil changes... Since M1 0W-40 is M1 most Robust Oil!
I have read in a few places where the 5.7L will throw a CEL if a a certain Viscosity is not used-->Interesting...Claiming this will cause problems with the MDS System!!--> I will try to reach a 30WT viscosity without issues-->Fingers Crossed!

I would be thrilled to be able to pour in a 0W-30 oil in my 5.7L without issues....

#5 ·
From what I am hearing and reading the 2013 & 2014 MDS systems are quite sensitive to oil pressure...Some 5.7L are throwing CEL when running 5W-30 oils... Some are not!

I am running a mix of 5Qts of 0W-20 & 2Qts 0W-40 which equals a weak viscosity 30wt with No issues...

I might try a full 7qt 0W-30 switch this spring... Have not decided yet... Need to do a bit more asking and reading...

I will keep this thread posted... any one of you who own a 2013 or 2014 and running a 30Wt oil with no issues please post.... Thanks

#6 ·
I have been using Mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic on my 2013 5.7. Not a single issue and truck runs great. Have just over 24k on it. I run 6k miles in between oil changes and everything is perfect. I have pulled apart motors that run straight Mobil 1 with over 100k miles on them and the internals are all nice and clean. If you looked at it you couldn't tell it has 100k on the motor.

#7 · (Edited)
Hemiram13: Thank U for sharing that info! Your experiences with M1 is why I myself have been running it in all my autos for the past 30years...

Is your 2013 5.7L Spec for 5W-20? I assume it is!

#9 ·
You guys keep saying "full synthetic".

Full synthetic is a marketing term, it's still a petroleum based product.

Just bare that in mind.

There was some testing done a few years back, I wish I could find it.

They listed what the best multi viscosity oil is to prevent wear. It wasn't a particular brand or anything, but a viscosity. It was either a 5W50 or 5W60. I don't recall, but one of those. It provided cold weather starting and the best protection from wear.

The EPA has pushed all this low viscosity oil on the entire industry for emissions and CAFE. They're pushing more smog control on vehicles that just choke them down and make them run like ****. Than the vehicles don't last as long and higher operating costs to maintain them. It's really sickening.

#11 ·
The EPA regulations kill fuel mileage as well. Most of their regulations are particulates per fuel burnt, or p/f for simplicity, which is a fraction. There are two ways to make that fraction smaller: make the numerator smaller, which is what the auto manufacturers want us to believe they are doing, or make the denominator bigger. They basically only allow the mileage to be as good as will allow them to pass smog test. If they would let autos run at optimum efficiency, we would consume so much less fuel that I'm pretty sure we'd actually pollute less. Government efficiency 101 :banghead:

#12 · (Edited)
The Full/100% has NO bearing on this matter so does not really need to be discussed In this thread! 3/4 of the Population don't even care! No Disrespect just sick and tired of that being brought up just to cause more drama-->That never has really been proven to prolong engine life... Uncle has a 88 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 Truck w/350 with 587K miles on it using PYB 10W-30 and is still running at peak condition and clean as an operating table under the valve covers....

But thank You very much for your information about the other article and knowledge of CAFE and our Retarded Government!! If you come across the other article please post-->Would be a very interesting read!!!

This thread is about Using Thin or Thick Viscosity Oils! Not Brand or Type! Please keep it to that subject only!!! Thank You!!

#14 · (Edited)
No disrespect taken, but I feel it's important for people to know the difference. To often people think they're buying 100% and they're just not. The term "full" is just wrong. The same 3/4 of people that don't care also don't care about us talking about oil and viscosity and EPA.

I agree... retarded government and EPA.

I have not preached any specific brand.

This isn't the article I was talking about earlier, but it's a nice read nonetheless.

Motor Oils - Fuel Economy vs. Wear

#15 · (Edited)
Fair enough but I only started this thread to talk about 1 thing---> Viscosity for the newer trucks---> not bring in another subject that another member thinks he needs to address and debate! What U brought up is something that needs a totally different thread. I'm sure there are many threads already on this subject within this forum!

Anyway-->Those that want to continue talking and discussing the Viscosity subject please continue!! Please stay on the Topic I posted!! Thank You Very Much!

The article you posted was my original article within my first post to begin this thread! But thank you anyway!

#17 ·
I'm not debating it. It's a fact, not an opinion. Now, back to viscosity.

Read this... pay attention to this part "Which Viscosity to Use?" I thought you might be interested in this part SyN, because you like to blend/mix oils together.

Oil Viscosity

#18 ·
Here's another article.

Choosing the Right Engine Oil - Cars.com

This is why I make sure people know the difference between "full" and "100%".

This important tidbit:
"Synthetic oils are man-made oils that handle extreme hot and cold temperatures better than conventional, natural oils. Natural oils break down faster during high-heat operation like towing, racing or any heavy-load operation, partly because of impurities that can't be removed in the refining process."

Why? Because there is a difference. Viscosity means nothing if the oil cannot keep it's viscosity. When the oil breaks down and loses viscosity you lose your wear protection too. "Full" synthetics have these impurities in them. 100% synthetics do not. Both "Full" and 100% are not all created equal, obviously.

What I've been posting is relevant. But I don't want to beat a dead horse and I think I made my point clear.

#19 ·
The great thing is an owner don't need full or 100% oil to achieve 100k/200k/300k miles ! It's been proven over & over & over again!!!! That is one big A$$ dead horse!!!

Once again I am not mixing oils ---> I am mixing a viscositys! Over the last 5 years me as well as many others have been doing so with nothing but Stellar wear numbers from Polaris labs whom is really quite fond of our mix.

i have no more use for this thread it has gone the wrong direction for me! Butcher it up more if ya like! I'm done!

#20 ·
I agree, an owner doesn't need full or 100%, unless the manufacturer requires it. Some do and it's becoming quite a trend for manufacturers to state to "only use synthetic" in their owners manual.

Of course you can get 100K/200K and longer as long as you take care of your vehicle. Most people don't.

Synthetics are better than petroleums.. that's been proven. Anything else is just opinion. Oil has come a long way, both petroleum and synthetic alike.

You are mixing oils. Combining two different viscosity oils, or more, is exactly what you're doing. It doesn't matter if they're the same brand or not. Mixing is mixing. I'm okay with that, really I am. I don't recommend it at all while under manufacturer warranty is all. For those that don't care about their warranty, do as you will.

This thread hasn't gone the wrong way. Keep it informative. Honestly though, there is only so much you can share about viscosity alone. I think it's been pretty well covered by the both of us.

I think you should share your Polaris Labs results, can you post a copy of them? Do you show trending charts over the life of the oil? It would be very informative.

#21 ·
This is certainly a 'slippery-slope' subject :D...but I do think everyone can find some benefit with the enlightenment and information.
The vast majority of us will never stress our rides enough to see major problems...I hope :hide:.

Keep up the good work guys and the information pipeline flowing :dance:.

:thumb:

#22 ·
True true.. most of us won't. A good share of us, at least the guys that all hang out together here in Cali, all race. So we push it. Fred is in the mid 12's on motor alone now and he has more tuning to be done. That thing will run low 12's for sure and he's going to be pushing low 11's when he opens the bottle up on it.

I'll be pushing for a lower mid 12 to a low 12 later this year on my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.