Hemi Truck Club banner

Loose oil filter

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  HemiFun05 
#1 ·
I had my oil changed about a month ago. The other day, I notice a puddle under my truck. I investigated underneath, and found the oil filter was about a 1/2 a turn loose. No big deal, I thought, he just didn't get it tight. I tightened it, and checked it the next day, all was good. Here it is a week later, and its leaking again. Turned it a 1/2 turn again, and cleaned up underneath. Is this a habit with the Hemi?? I don't understand why its doing this. Anybody got any ideas?

#2 ·
It shouldn't be a habit:facepalm:...I would take the current filter off and try a new one - perhaps even a different brand...then make sure when you change oil and filter again it is done properly the first time.

:GoodLuck1:

#4 ·
I do my own - have always used Mobil 1 10W-30 Extended Performance Oil and the larger size (M301) Mobil 1 oil filter.

There are several excellent oil filter choices: many have had great luck with the Amsoil, Purolater / NAPA Gold, Royal Purple, etc. just to name a few. Personally I would not use ANY Fram filter IMO...

:thumb:

#5 ·
Ok, thanks. I'll get one of those Mobil 1 filters. I still don't understand why this filter wont stay tight though. One time, ok maybe a mistake. But twice? Nope, somethings wrong.

#7 ·
Mine had the same problem after I had it changed but it did it about a week after it was changed. Tightened it down and made it worse. I remove the filter and it had the old O ring still on ( Im lucky it didn't blow on the hwy) back then I was driving 100 miles round trip everyday. AS for filters I use mopar filters only. Found them at Walmart. You can also order them off Ebay

#8 ·
I use Pure One or Royal purple filters, I get them @ Pep Boys

#10 ·
Thank you all. I'm gonna change the filter this weekend. I'll get a Mopar filter and put on it. Might be more expensive, but since the truck is still under warranty, at least I'll be covered if something happens.

#14 ·
Sorry its been a while. I retightened the filter and used a wrench that time. Didn't have any more issues. Tonight I changed the oil, and should have needed a wrench to remove the filter. I didn't need one. It was loose again. Not leaking, but definitely not tight. The filter was a Bosch. I put a Mopar filter on it this time. Will check and report what I find.

#15 ·
Sorry its been a while. I retightened the filter and used a wrench that time. Didn't have any more issues. Tonight I changed the oil, and should have needed a wrench to remove the filter. I didn't need one. It was loose again. Not leaking, but definitely not tight. The filter was a Bosch. I put a Mopar filter on it this time. Will check and report what I find.
-----------------------------------
Seems really strange to say the least...makes me wonder if you have some damaged threads on the male stud where the filter mounts :confused:.

:GoodLuck1: :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.