Hemi Truck Club banner

Ignition Coil Pack

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Got this code this morning. Been having an issue for a while, think I finally got the code that narrows it down so I could fix it.

Superchips Programmer
P2311 - Ignition Coil 4 Performance - Insufficient Ionization

Dodge DTC code
P2311 - Ignition Coil D Sec Circ

Guy at O'Reilly's said I had a bad coil pack, but he couldn't tell me which one. Can anyone help?

Is it worth it to upgrade to the MSD packs? I've got the Taylor Shorty wires already. Might be hard to justify the $430 for a full set.

Thanks!

#2 ·
heres the cheapest place I found ,,I bought my coils on sale for 380 US $ last summer,,
http://moesperformance.com/index.ph...3e84488003fc237469646a8fce&keyword=Pack+82568 no more starting issues..I got the same codes after I installed my SC ,,try going back to stock and see if that stops the codes,,,even with the msd coils I still had those codes come,,just not as often,,went to the 87 tune and no more codes,,same as stock

#3 ·
Our 05 Hemi seems to run very well on the Taylor shorties. I am contemplating ordering the blaster coils from Moe. Is this going to give me any power advantage or increased MPG. What would the advantage be?

#4 ·
honestly I cant be sure of any power gains,but the truck runs a little smoother,my concern was cold starting issues I had with the stock coils,didnt want to be stranded somewhere in -25F ,and they look good,,lol

1 or 2 cranks and the truck starts now,,in any weather

#5 ·
The MSD coils might give you a slight improvement, but they are more for looks than anything. Right out of their mouth at Sema their coils don't make any additional voltage over stock or increase spark energy. They did say they had a few more windings in them that might make them slightly more efficient, but efficiency hasn't really been an issue from 03+ in the hemi's. I'd put the 400 elsewhere if it was me.

#6 ·
No ignition system will give u more power. It can only recover lost power. If the spark has enough intensity, and delivered at the correct time, only X amount of HP can be achieved. If it takes 20K to bridge the spark plug gap, that's all that will be delivered. It doesn't matter if you have a 50K coil, only the amount to bridge the gap will be delivered. Now, with notorious, supercharging/turbo, cylinder pressures can get high enough where the stock coil can not bridge the gap, and a mis-fire will accrue. The cure is, a smaller gap, better coils, more primary voltage. The ignition system on a Hemi fuel Dragster, has enough amps to arc weld with!

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses...

I replaced the #4 cyclinder coil. Still had the stutter thing happen the other day. Was going to check all the plugs this weekend, now we're suppose to get bad weather so that probably won't happen. Anybody had a similiar issue to mine?

Rolling into the throttle (like when pulling a small incline) the truck will "miss" once or twice. Can't really get it to repeat. happens once or twice a day (driven to work everyday, 100mi round trip) Happens typically after I've driven a while and the motors warm. but overall speratic..thougths?

#8 ·
I've been asking everyone and no one seems to have a clue. Here are some more things I've noticed.

I seems like the motor is bogging down instead of shifting when it's suppose to. It shifts fine, just seems to be putting a big load on the motor before it'll shift. Kind of sounds like the motors clogged up if that makes any sense.

#10 ·
quote:Originally posted by zwa21:
i had insuffiecient ionazation code. but mine was bad pcm. replaced coils for around $40 apiece from oriellys.
Bad PCM??? Program Control Module? Any way to reset it? Do you have to get a new one or reflash it?

#11 ·
mksugls-

Mine is doing the same thing. It will shut down under hard load at about 4000 rpm, then pick back up after i let out. Then the multiple misfire code flashes. It also eats starters when cold starting. I did the taylor shorties, and now thinking upon reading here, that the stock coils do not have enough to fire both plugs at the same time. So the msd packs should fix that, or go back to the old style wires. I think this may take care of the studder and misfire issue we have as well as my cold start up issue.

#14 ·
Pcm very seldom go bad unless you do something to damage it electrically like weld on the chassis or exhaust with the battery connected. What cam do you have, often the bigger cams will throw a misfire fire code. You might read a little about what a misfire actually is to better understand the problem.

#17 ·
Pcm very seldom go bad unless you do something to damage it electrically like weld on the chassis or exhaust with the battery connected. What cam do you have, often the bigger cams will throw a misfire fire code. You might read a little about what a misfire actually is to better understand the problem.[/QUO TE]
I have factory cam. Are duralast coils any good for hemi engines?

#16 · (Edited)
The 06+ dual coils can sometimes be found used from a salvage yard or classifieds for around $200 complete with cutoff electrical plugs and valve covers. The sluggish engine sounds like a tuneup problem. I would check the plugs and clean the Throttle body to start with.

#18 ·
A stock cam obviously shouldn't be the cause of your misfire. How do the plugs look? When was your TB last cleaned? I have not used the Duralast coils. But have had no issues with 03 oem, or 06 oem and 06+ SoS coils.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.