Hemi Truck Club banner

Gettimg ready to flush rear diff+tcase+front diff

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeHTally 
#1 ·
And I see many different fluid recommendations. Vehicle is an 04 Ram 1500 4WD. It has 100,000 miles, and we don't tow or race it, but I want good stuff in there so it lasts a long time. Top of the lines fluids like Amsoil or Royal Purple are not out of the question.

The question I do have, is what kind of fluids can I use? Can I use synthetic in all 3 units? Can I use the same weight in all 3 units? What weight should I use? Does the rear take friction modifier?

Thank you guys, I'm a muscle car guy and new to trucks.

#2 ·
Are you the original owner? Have all 100K miles been with conventional lubricants?
Both choice you've listed (Amsoil & RP) seem to be excellent lubricants...and there are others as well - also these lubricants should exceed the standard IMO...

:GoodLuck1:

#4 ·
Thanks, no we are the third owners. Each previous owner owned it for 50k miles, and I have no idea what maintenance they did. The guy I bought it from (second owner) definitely wasn't a car/truck guy; he had Fram filters on it and stated he had washed the truck maybe twice. So yeah, I'm just knocking everything out, better to know it's done than assume.
80-90 front diff!
80-90 rear diff unless limited slip then 75-140 with modifier
T case is trans fluid ATF4
Thanks! I'm pretty sure it's got a LSD, but how do I know?

#5 ·
When you go to clean out the housing you can use a couple cans of brake cleaner. It is what I use.

#7 ·
OK next question.....how do I know if it's got the 3.92s? Maybe I'll just take it on a back road and rip a few burnouts and see if it lays two stripes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.