Hemi Truck Club banner

EGR valve

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Dodge_Truck_Owner 
#1 ·
Tuesday 2.21 PM wet and cold in the Land Of The Long White Cloud.

I'm throwing code PO406. I'm told its the EGR valve. Can I clean this to restore, or is it best to replace?

Rock auto have them for around $32. Anything I should be aware of regards to the valves themselves?

Watched some Youtube which made replacing it all look straight forward. But they said that about programming the VCR I bought and that mystery is still waiting to be solved.

#3 ·
Whenever you get a high voltage fault, check the plug connect and make sure it clean and making good electrical contact. High can be a open wire or and element burned open. I'm not familiar with the egr sensor as the 03 doesn't have one and the 05 pcm has it turned off. You can try cleaning it but I'm thinking it's shot.

#5 ·
Agreed, if the wiring is all good I'd just replace it. As for sleep, I get up every few hours to check email and the wife. I still have family living on your time who often email.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

I have purchased a new E G R valve from Rockauto, NZ$71 includes freight, they tell me it will be here next week. Here's the rub!

The same thing from the Dodge dealer here is NZ$195 +freight+tax which puts it around $240 NZ and that is $171 American.

As you can see, the cost of owning american vehicles pre the internet, was either a rich mans past time or the pursuit of V8 pleasure by fools.
Both have been applicable to me at one time or another.

#12 ·
Tui, I can understand the addiction. I'm sure you get asked about the truck everytime you go out. You are fortunate to be able to support the beast. Well done..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.