Hemi Truck Club banner

EGR Valve

11K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  need-a-cage 
#1 ·
I think my EGR valve is bad AGAIN! I haven't taken it in to get the codes read, but all the symptoms are the same as the last TWO (yes two) times. This would be number three if it is bad. Anyone else go through these things like this?

Not sure if it is the problem, but I will update this either way.

#3 ·
Many replacement parts are junk (Chinese), have you tried a OEM valve from the dealer?

#4 ·
Update: Had the codes pulled.
P0300 - Random Misfires Detected
P1521 - ?

Suggested fix...crankshaft position sensor.(?)
I did a tune up about 25,000-30,000 miles ago and I run fuel cleaner through every 3,000 - 4,000 miles. I am just under 100,000 miles
All that was suggested was to take it to a mechanic for possible timing issue. (I thought the timing was controlled by the computer.) The misfire is very noticeable at start up and when at idle, under driving conditions it seems to run fine (or the misfires are too fast to notice).

#5 ·
Update: Had the codes pulled.
P0300 - Random Misfires Detected
P1521 - ?

Suggested fix...crankshaft position sensor.(?)
I did a tune up about 25,000-30,000 miles ago and I run fuel cleaner through every 3,000 - 4,000 miles. I am just under 100,000 miles
All that was suggested was to take it to a mechanic for possible timing issue. (I thought the timing was controlled by the computer.) The misfire is very noticeable at start up and when at idle, under driving conditions it seems to run fine (or the misfires are too fast to notice).
The P1521 code is for incorrect oil... What weight oil are you using?
P1521 Dodge Incorrect Engine Oil Type OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

#6 ·
Can wrong weight oil mess with the mds lifters and cause multiple cylinder misfire too?

#7 ·
I don't have MDS, but from what I've heard, yes they are sensitive to oil weight.

#10 ·
Weird. I vote block it off and tune it out if it's going to keep causing problems. I hate EGR with a passion. Love that my 2500 doesn't have it :D

#12 ·
Did you do the oil change or are you taking someone's word for it? The miss fire code is generated by the engine changing speed outside a set parameter. The miss fired cylinder is detected by the cam/crank position. So you have compression, TB, EGR, coils, spark plugs and cam/crank sensors. Testing, swapping or replacing these items should point you to the problem.. The MDS I know nothing about, hopefully someone who does will chime in.

#13 ·
I did the oil change myself.
With the coil packs. Can I ohm check those and clean them? I was thinking of ordering the cam/crank sensors since I can get them for less than $35 for the pair, even if it doesn't fix it then I have two new sensors at least.

#14 ·
Easiest way to test coil packs is to swap them to different cylinder and see if the problem moves with it. When were spark plugs last done?

#15 ·
I suppose you could resistance check them, but that may not detect a problem causing a mis fire as heat, voltage and load may play a part of the mis fire. Swapping them to other cylinders would be what I'd do. Have you cleaned the TB?

#16 ·
The computer does a check on them so pretty much if one is bad it will let you no or you will feel a missfire. The oil code is so stupid I have seen it come on with the correct oil in the truck. The random miss is likely something that effects the entire engine. Make sure your PCV is clean and working/rattling when shaken. The purge valve may have stuck open for a little bit and caused the code. I would say clear the codes and drive it and see how long it takes to return especially if its running fine right now.

#18 ·
I just replaced the PCV valve, not too long ago. I can check it anyway, since I'll probably have the hood off. What about the O2, I was told that at times that thing can go bad, but not throw a code unless it is broken or unplugged. I am trying to think of stuff that is common to all the cylinders since it is a random misfire and not specific to a cylinder. Cam/Crankshaft sensor?

#25 ·
Hemi Hat.....

#26 ·
I'd love to see ballerz put that hat on backwards lol :D

#28 ·
I think I also still have one, but it's at the very bottom of the pile... ;)

#29 ·
I had the Random misfire on my truck, the whole truck would shake at idle sometimes and other times be fine. I changed plugs issue still there, Moved coils around still there. I then changed the Valve springs and all 4 o2 sensors have not had a problem since. If the plugs dont fix it I would change the o2 for OEM Ones if they have a lot of mileage on them. I am not suggesting you just throw parts at *** but o2 Sensors to me are items I replace after they have some miles on them.

#30 ·
The O2 sensors are not too expensive so I was looking at that anyway.
I did clean the TB and PCV (which was new anyway) while I had the "Hemi Hat" off (now that I know what it is called:D). Seems to have helped some, haven't been able to drive it too far yet.
I just need parts to come in before the weekend, supposed to rain and I have to work outside.

#31 ·
When Mine would miss the whole truck would shake and feel like it was going to fall apart. No Issues since replacing those parts.

Reactions: jwberry
#35 ·
Mine has gotten that bad at times. But not often, until recently. As long as I am on the gas it is not as bad.
Well that's an easy fix. HAMMER DOWN! :lol: :D

#33 ·
My next question is about the O2 sensors. Could those be an issue without throwing a code? I have heard both, that they can be bad and not show up when the codes are read, unless a sensor is actually broken or unplugged. I was thinking of just replacing those (I think my '06 only has two), just 'cause. But I don't want to just throw parts at it, but a tune-up is not a bad thing either.

#34 ·
I cant remember if mine threw a code or not.

#38 ·
Be selective on when to take me seriously :D :lol:

#39 ·
Did this ever get fixed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.