Hemi Truck Club banner

Confused with MPG's and gas tank, fuel range.

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  SoloScuba 
#1 ·
Ok so Im completely confused...Here is my situation, new 2015 Tradesman PW with 2000 miles on it.

It says I have a 31 gallon fuel tank. Im averaging 12.5-13.5mpg, thats fine but what doesnt make sense is the fuel gauge and the computer fuel range and low fuel light.

Low fuel light will come on when I have about 275 miles (50 miles to empty) on my full tank and Ive run it down to saying zero miles left each time pretty much and when I fill my tank it only fills between 25-26 gallons, SO that is leaving 5-6 gallons in the tank when my computer fuel range says Im at zero miles left, low fuel light is on for a while and the fuel gauge is pegged to as empty as it will go. 5-6 gallons left seems like a lot, what the heck? So with all this being said Im only getting 285-315 miles on a full tank but averaging 12.5-13.5 mpgs, that doesnt compute with a 31 gallon tank.

So whats the deal? I should be using more gallons before the gauge is pegged to empty, low fuel light is on and range is saying I have zero miles left to go...I should be getting 350-380 miles to a full tank, right?

Is there a chance my truck has a smaller fuel tank? Window sticker says 31 gallons.

Is my computer, low fuel light and fuel gauge all way off and maybe programmed wrong?

Normally vehicles say completely empty with 2 or so gallons left in the tank not 5-6 gallons, did Ram set theres for 5+ gallons left in the tank?

Is this the same on all your guys 6.4L PW's and the norm?

Should I take it to the Dealer and have the computer reprogrammed or something?

I had a 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi I traded in for the PW and no issues with the fuel gauge, computer, etc... on that truck, Id run it to close to empty and it would fill the correct 25-26 gallons the tank was.

Anyways, sorry so long. Thanks for any feedback.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have my window sticker and it says 31 gallons, I also did Equipment Listing on Ram website with my VIN and it says 31 gallons and also says 5.2 gallons of additional gas, what does that mean...Im certainly not using 31 gallons and no way an extra 5.2.

#5 ·
5.2 is the reserve fuel when the light would come on. It's a big truck and normally associated with pulling so it has a bigger reserve than normal. I would say yes it's a bit confusing at first but it's set that way so you don't get stranded pulling a load or something where you might by trying to get all the miles you can from a tank. It doesn't hirt to check with a dealer on this but what I'm getting and from exp I would say this is normal for the truck

#6 ·
^^ :iagree: ^^

If you notice, your DTE will change some with your driving. (Up more at highway cruise and down a lot when driving like you stole it.) So they would need to have a buffer so you didn't get stranded. :thumb:

#11 ·
32 Gallon Tank

I have a similar situation, my display said I had 100 miles to go and I filled up today, put in a little less than 24 gallons. That's over an 8 gallon reserve? I know it's a 32 gallon tank, it was an option on the window sticker. Could it be possible the computer doesn't know it's a 32 gallon tank?

#13 ·
I have a similar situation, my display said I had 100 miles to go and I filled up today, put in a little less than 24 gallons. That's over an 8 gallon reserve? I know it's a 32 gallon tank, it was an option on the window sticker. Could it be possible the computer doesn't know it's a 32 gallon tank?
----------------------------------------
When did they go to a 32 gallon tank? My '05 has the optional 34 gallon tank :ermm:.

:thumb:

#12 ·
I'm sure the comp knows the tank size. It uses the level sender and miles driven to show what you actually have on the remaining DTE! For the most part the factory setup from dealer trucks are pretty close to accurate it's when you start changing stuff that they sometimes get skewed.

#14 ·
While researching the various pcm's available in 05 one the items listed was different among them was gas tank size. They were called out as either 26, 32 and 34. I thought the truck sold as chassis cab had 34 gal .the 2500 32 and 26 in the 1500. I'm taking this from memory so the 34 and 32 could be reversed. And I have no idea why they were listed that way.
I'm using a pcm listed as 32 gal and once I got the float adjusted correctly it reads fine.

#16 ·
32 Gallon Tank

Been away from the computer for a while. I am assuming my gas tank is 32 gallons based on the Window sticker showing it was an added $125 option. See the attached pdf file.

I was at the stealership this weekend getting a new key fob programed and there were SIX software updates done.

Radio Display Screen Enhancement - I'd really like to know what this one does?

RFH, BCM, TCM, PCM, IPC, and OMG!

Maybe miles to empty will be a bit more accurate now?

:thumb:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.