Hemi Truck Club banner

bad to switch fuel grades back and forth?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  HemiFun05 
#1 ·
I just bought my Ram 1500 a few months ago. I decided to start filling up with Mid-grade gas, since that is what Ram recommends. I did notice a slight improvement in mileage and possibly power (exhaust seemed louder). switched over only 2 weeks of ownership, so its hard to say exactly. If i couldn't afford it, i would be using Regular 87 gas, but want my truck to last, therefore using the recommended.

so, say i was going on a long road trip and to save money filled it up with 87 octane. is it bad for the truck to make a sudden switch like that for a few 1k miles and then return to mid-grade afterwards?

#2 ·
If you're just stock and not using a tuner set to a specific octane requirement you should be fine as long as the fuel is clean and meets your engine's detonation requirements. Personally I run 93 with a tuner and never change...but that's just my preference :thumb:.

:dance:

#4 ·
Perfectly safe to burn 89 or 87 octane, unless you have a tuner with a octane specific tune loaded. That being said, spend the few pennies more a gallon on the mid-grade. Your Hemi will operate more efficiently. So the money you save at the pump with regular will more than likely cancel itself out with reduced gas mileage down the road on a long trip.

#6 ·
I have a heavily modded truck and run 87 for traveling same tune just don't floor it. That being said most of the tunes I do unless the customer wants hot tune they are sad to run 87 daily issue free. I switch back and forth without issue if need be just drive it a little less aggressive on 87. That being said if it's a stock truck for the most part any grade fuel is fine

#7 ·
Personally I don't switch. Have always used the highest octane available at the pump.

#9 ·
i should have mentioned, since i see a lot of you have 3rd gens. mine is a 2011, maybe things changed with the newer trucks. mine says 87 acceptable, 89 recommended.

#11 ·
I have only used high octane in mine. Usually 91 or 92, but whatever the highest is. Some say it doesn't make any difference and I'm just wasting money, but what the heck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.