Hemi Truck Club banner

Anybody got a 6.4L? Oil?

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  MikeHTally 
#1 ·
Just curious what oil people are running in their 6.4L's... if there's anybody around here running one besides me. :)

For 2017 Chrysler calls for MS-12645 oil which is basically only the Penzoil Ultra 0w40, but I think I read where 2015's called for any CN rated 0w40.

The Penzoil is a pain to find, pretty much Amazon only and about $8 a quart and sold out a lot. Castrol Edge 0w40 is a group 4 oil made in Belgium or Germany and it's at my local Wally World for $26 for 5 qts.

I wish Chrysler would tell us what the MS specs are. If it's just marketing with Penzoil that's annoying.

#5 ·
I get my oil changed at the dealer with Pennzoil 0W40 full synthetic. It's the only oil covered under warranty, so the dealer says.

#6 ·
I found Castrol A/3-B/4 0W-40 also meets the Ram specs. Local NAPA has it, and it seems to work just fine.

#7 ·
Just curious what oil people are running in their 6.4L's... if there's anybody around here running one besides me. :)

For 2017 Chrysler calls for MS-12645 oil which is basically only the Penzoil Ultra 0w40, but I think I read where 2015's called for any CN rated 0w40.

The Penzoil is a pain to find, pretty much Amazon only and about $8 a quart and sold out a lot. Castrol Edge 0w40 is a group 4 oil made in Belgium or Germany and it's at my local Wally World for $26 for 5 qts.

I wish Chrysler would tell us what the MS specs are. If it's just marketing with Penzoil that's annoying.
I have a feeling it's just marketing with Pennzoil. There are other full synthetic oils out there that are just as good. Amsoil and Royal Purple are rated high. The question is if you use another oil other then what Ram/Chrysler says does it void the warranty?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.